We are in need of Substitute Teachers in the Southern Humboldt Unified School District. Our daily rate is $125 for regular substitute teachers and $145 for long-term substitute teachers. We add substitutes to our current list by appointment only. The following list is what Southern Humboldt Schools needs to sign you up to be a Day-to-Day Substitute Teacher in our District. Please call the Personnel Office (707-943-1789 ext. 111) to schedule an appointment to sign up as a substitute teacher. If you reach a voice mail please leave your name and telephone number, and the Personnel Office will call you to schedule the appointment.
Please bring the following to your appointment:
  • A Completed Certificated Application Form,or Edjoin Application
  • Substitute Check List
  • Your Résumé
  • Two Letters of Recommendation. They do not need to be specific to this application; we accept copies of those previously used
  • A Copy of Your Credential or Emergency Permit (30 Day Emergency Sub Permit Process Checklist)
  • TB Test Results (within the last 3 years for initial placement).
  • Completed BCIA 8016A Live Scan Form (SHUSD fingerprint form $32 (this amount will be charged at the location you get your fingerprints done) + Live
    Scan fee (differs depending on where you go to get this done) *If you have previously been fingerprinted through HCOE, please inquire with the SHUSD personnel office to check the HCOE consortium for fingerprint clearance
  • Your valid Driver’s License,
  • Your original Social Security Card.
NOTE: You are eligible to apply for an Emergency Permit if you have a 4-year degree and have passed a CBEST test. Contact the Southern Humboldt Personnel Office 707-943-1789 or Humboldt County Office of Education, 707-445-7039, to apply for an Emergency Permit. 
Student Teachers: All student teachers must complete the same requirements as indicated above in the Substitute Teacher section before being eligible to substitute for their mentor teachers.